Pinup girl website to make me realize what I should have done. Gored skirt and ruched detail at the bust. Argh so close! Personal style can be a tricky beast some times. Especially when you think you like what you don't actually like. What is up with that brain?
Bodice - Cambie hacked into a princess line bodice. See below for the tutorial on how to do that. My bodice is fully lined with some Siri lining.
this tiki number, or this polka dot modcloth design. Eh see, good stuff. So let's get to it....
Tutorial - Changing darts to princess line seams on the Cambie Bodice
1. Starting with the front bodice, find the center of the dart intake and mark.
2. Draw a line from that mark, through the dart point and up to the neckline of the bodice.
3. At this point you might want to tweak the sweet heart seam line to a slightly rounder shape since a seam line will be going through it.
4. Once any neckline changes are complete, cut the pattern apart along one dart leg, then along the newly drawn line.
5. Next cut off the rest of the dart intake.
6. Go in and smooth out the "points" left by the top of the dart. You want the new seam line to be nice and smooth.
7. Time to convert the darts on the back, but first we need to cut down the pattern piece. Using the top of the side seam as a guide, square a line across the back.
8. Cut the back pattern along this line and discard the top half.
9. Now we'll do the same steps on the back that we did on the front. First mark the middle of the dart intake.
10. Draw a line through the intake mark, dart point and up to the top of the pattern piece.
11. Cut the pattern apart along one dart leg, then along the newly drawn line.
12. Next cut off the rest of the dart intake.
13. Smooth off any points left by the tops of the darts. On the back this might not be noticeable because the dart is a smaller size.
14. Now that the shaping of the seam lines is complete, you need to go back and add seam allowance to the new seam lines. Once SA is added the bodice is ready to sew.
*Bonus step - You can put any kind of strap on the bodice, but if you like mine the dimensions are 5" x 15.5".
Extra bonus step - Put on dress. Parade around local public areas and have the local residents come out of their houses to stare at you. Don't mind me, just being awkward. Carry on with your lawn mowing sir.