Before we get into reviewing my FES report card, I do have one more item to show you. One gray pleated "school girlish" skirt.
Since this design was free through out the hips, I skipped the usual muslin stage and fit it on the fly. Started with the size 44, basted down all the pleats, basted one side seam and then tried it on. The skirt needed around 1/2" removed for each side seam. Then it was easy to cut down the waist seam allowance a bit and apply the same change to the waistband. Excellent! Froggie was pretty sure not making that muslin was going to haunt me.
I also made a few personal design choices on this skirt.
1. Burda tells you to draft a rectangular waistband for this. No thank you, I'll pull out my trusty self drafted curved waistband instead.
2. As drafted the finished length of the skirt is 31.5", which would be around mid calf on me. I was pretty sure this would be really dowdy looking and reduced the skirt length to 24".
3. Added a lining to the skirt by cutting the Front/Back piece in lining and shortening the length by 1.5".
OK. Now that I've squeaked the last garment in there, let's see how well this easily distracted sewcialist stuck to the Fall sewing list.
1. Black denim pencil skirt - Completed. Already a little faded due to a poor washing decision. Probably should re-dye it black.
2. Wool circle or pleated skirt - Completed. As if you didn't know. ;)
1. Ysolda's Chickadee out of stashed yarn - Completed. It's been worn weekly so excellent wardrobe planning there.
2. One or two long sleeve Netties - Completed. I sewed a solid green, solid black and a leopard print Nettie. You'll just have to take my word about the unblogged ones.
3. Vogue 8747 - Completed. Though I should take in the side seams a bit because it's yet to be worn.
1. McCall's 6696 - Not Sewn. When I decided that the gray denimy wool was too itchy for a dress this got put on the back burner. I've since bought some plaid shirting that would be an excellent shirt dress......if there is enough. I got the bolt in so instead of a full 3 yards there is only 2.5 which might not work with plaid matching.
1. Hand knit socks - Completed. Finished the "on the needles" sock project in plenty of time. Hooray!
Those Cozy Nights
1. Laura Lounge pants - Not Sewn. Never bought fabric to make another pair of Laura Lounge pants. With my fabric buying track record that's not the worst thing.
Baby it's cold outside
1. Ottobre coat - Not Sewn. Couldn't get around to starting this before it go really cold, which was this weekend. Right now the plan is to make this a first of the year sort of project.
2. Hand knit berets - Had to frog. I did knit a red beret using Ysoda's rose red pattern. I'm not into swatching for hats and sometimes that does bite me in the ass. In this case the finished beret is much to too and needs to be be reknit on smaller needles. No black beret was started so I only get half points for effort.
There was also the Fall Essentials addendum list which included:
1. Snow leopard top
2. Cobalt skirt or pants
3. Magenta top or skirt
4. Anything hot pink
5. Black and white striped raglan
I sewed everything on this list with the exception of the cobalt skirt/pants. Can't bring myself into cutting into the 2 yards of cobalt sateen in the stash. Maybe in the new year.
Out of 15 planned projects, 10 were completed. This might be a personal record for this girl who thinks sewing lists are just bossy pieces of paper. :). For that I'm forever grateful to Sarah who did the hosting work for this sew-a-long this year. Thank for giving me the "push" to finally make some of those basic pieces I really needed.