Odds and Ends

1.28.2015

I'm knee deep in a coat sewing project and all sewing mojo has run off on a tropical vacation.  Not fair sewing mojo, you were supposed to take me with you.  That's what the stash of tropical print fabric is for!
I've been coping with my disappointment by marathoning murder mystery programs while knitting. The coat moodily glowers at me from the other room but I don't care. La la la laaaa, you don't exist coat, it's just me and my yarn and we are sooooo happy together. (Yarn is Madelinetosh DK in Flash dance and the pattern is a vintage Sidar, if you're wondering.)
It looks like it might be awhile until the sewjo returns to help me complete a project, so I'd better clear out some odds and ends in the meantime.

#1 - This year I'm going to participate in Vintage Pattern sewing pledge. My desire to sew more vintage patterns has been stoked by the Christmas dress project.  The vintage pattern stash is pretty small, so I'm setting the modest goal of sewing up 3 patterns this year. Here are two of my newest acquisitions that I'm pretty excited about.

#2 - We decided to do themes for the stashbusting sew-a-long a little differently this year.  Each month is going to be hosted by a different blog. In February Judy is having a big fabric contest complete with prizes. It sounds like she's set up a great bag of goodies, so you might want to stop on by to see if you want to sew along.  I'll be hosting March where the theme is "Using patterns you already have."

#3 - I'm the sewing superstar of the week over at Cut Out + Keep.  If you like reading my weird questions to interviews then check it it. ;)

Alright, I'm gonna stare at my coat lining now and wiggle my fingers around hoping it will attach it's self to the shell. Have a great week folks!

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who looses her sewing mojo sometimes. I lost it a bit while making my rigel bomber. I procrastinated hard on that one. Your knitting looks great and sometimes you need to catch up on murder mysteries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Tosh sweater! That's going to be rather lovely :-)

    Also, THANK YOU for those drafting tips along with your interview! Curved waistbands always have me scratching my head, but I've been wanting to sort them out for ages as straight ones invariably sit away from my waist. I'll have another go with renewed energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flashdance looks like it's coming along well. If the sewjo doesn't want to play the knitting wins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A coat seems a big project to me! I'm sure you will do a lovely one, once you find your mojo again (I've just learned the word mojo, need to find the meaning in the net. Thanks for the interesting word)

    That knitting looks great, I hope you show us the finished garment.


    I am joining the vintage pledge to... I am planning to go with 5 vintage or reproduction patterns: Maybe too much for a starter, but a skirt, a blouse and a couple of dresses didn't seem too much the day I joined. Now I am starting to think I was wrong... let's see if we can achieve our goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand you so well. We are still in January and the only thing I'm able to make lately are tiki shirts. Just think that this winter won't last forever and soon we'll be able to wear those garments made with tropical fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, knitting is the best way to procrastinate! I can totally understand the impulse! Now get back to work on that coat! You're going to be so happy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When someone goes as hard at anything as you do with sewing, there's bound to be some burnout. It's not only OK, but it's perfectly normal. And I'm sure you'll bounce back pretty quickly, so no guilt in the meantime! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. www.tresbienensemble.comJanuary 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM

    I'm really excited to see your version of Advance 9441. I bet it's going to be a knockout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your vintage vibe, Heather! Vintage patterns are SO MUCH Better. A person could actually learn to sew from all of the information contained in the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, do I have to read instructions now? ;) OK, but I'll need extra chocolate treats to get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sniff, sniff, no more TV for me? OK, I'll go wade into the coat fray once more. Froggie, if I'm not back in 2 hours then send pie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! Glad you are doing the vintage pledge as well. Five projects sounds doable since the year just got underway. I'll cross my fingers that you get plenty of sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After Christmas winter is so depressing. No wonder we want to think of summer and sew tiki shirts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray! Permission to lounge on the couch. :) It is nice to catch up on my netflix watch list and get a little stashed yarn knit up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems like I want to sew summer dresses or knit seasonally appropriate clothing. Knitting it is then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your version really pushed me over the edge to buy the pattern. It just looks so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are not the only one! Sometimes big projects just suck that mojo right away. It's either that more my knitting mojo bought the sewing mojo that holiday ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent! /\ I'm glad that the waistband tips helped you out Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I lose my mojo sometimes too. but usually they don't go hand in hand - if sewing is gone, there is still knitting, right? I love Mad Tosh - lovely, lovely yarn and that color. no words. This will be a great sweater. g

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right, the knitting mojo seems to have taken over. With the colder temps around here it seems much nicer to snuggle on the couch with some lovely yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs