Archer Addict

10.02.2013

Hey look it's another Archer, number 5 if you're wondering.
No, no I don't have a problem. I can stop making them at any time.  I'm not frantically searching the internet for cotton flannel or anything. *Closes browser tabs* I don't have another mid process in a box...um yeah I do, sooooo never mind that.  
OK fine, I do have a "problem".... lack of closet space for all my Archers.  Do you think we can get a tardis closet, bigger on the inside and all that?  With it's own Archer room, Yes?  Do you think "The Doctor" subcontracts? Do you think he likes red pants?
While I'm looking for "The Doctors" number let me tell you about this fabric.  I found it during one of my numerous Etsy searches for vintage fabric. My brain immediately thought it would make a fantastic Archer. Gingham and ikat, it's double the awesome! I didn't buy it right away it because it wasn't a bargain and 2.5 yards might not be enough.  But gradually the though of someone else owning "MY" gingham ikat caused me to click the buy button and I can't say I regret it. 
When the fabric arrived I realized it had to be a hand woven textile. The hand of the fabric was kind of spongy and the design had lots of fun irregularities.  However fun irregularities do make plaid matching a big PITA, here are the the issues I had.

1. The size of the checks were not the same though out the whole fabric.  I didn't realize this until sewing and found one of my button bands matched perfectly and the other only half haphazardly. The first band was cut next to it's corresponding front and the other in a different location.  Doh!  Thankfully the one that matches the front is the one with the button holes.
2. The fabric next to the selvages was very biased so all pieces needed to be cut about 2" inward. Talk about a nail bitter when you're trying to match the gingham and only have 2.5 yards.

3. I forgot that I need to match the gingham and ikats motifs.  On my pockets the gingham matches perfectly but the ikat motifs are not the same.  Guess who didn't notice this until 2 days after the shirt was finished...this girl.
4 There was a weaving error/fiber flaw in the fabric where the fibers broke and created a "run" in the ikat. Thankfully I noticed it before starting and was able to lay everything out in a way where I didn't need this area. 

It took a little dubious gingham matching in some locations, but I was just able to squeeze out an Archer in the yardage available.  On the plus side, this hand woven cotton is super comfy to wear. So so cozy, it feels like my Archer is gently hugging me while I wear it.  I love you too Archer, never change.

Well I'm having no luck getting in touch with "The Doctor." about my closet situation.  Guess I'm gonna have to manufacture an emergency situation.  GRRRRARRRRR, I will eat you all and take your fabric. Nom, Nom, Nom.

29 comments:

  1. Hahaha!! Gorgeous fabric... which reminds me I need to get busy and list on Etsy the fabrics I have sitting around here... stop guilt tripping me!
    If the Doctor comes let me know. Can you imagine the intergalactic fabric buying possibilities not to mention what you could find going back and forward in time. All the vintage prints are MINE!!!
    Ps. The shirt is very cool. I don't think anyone but you will notice the not matching bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see a problem here, with either your Archer production or your pattern matching. This fabric looks like it was made to be an Archer, and you were the eHarmony to put them together. May they live happily ever after! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! This looks fantastic - just as well you clicked and grabbed that fabric when you did. Just love it ... J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a similar problem with a certain skirt pattern...I just can't stop myself!!! Another great shirt and I love the red pants...

    ReplyDelete
  5. killer fabric find! i am also an archer addict. love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this fabric and you need at least two more Archers to make it through the week, right? Now we just need some fall weather to be able to wear long sleeve shirts! I have Pattern Runway's Pussy Bow blouse printed out so I'll finally get around to making my first button down shirt (after I get the #RedOctober dress done).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Archer. Can I have it? No! Okay *pouts*
    If you do get a hold of the Doctor send him my way and we *ahem* I will give you the Tardis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great Archer! Can't wait to see #6 (and 7, 8, 9...)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a whole lot of matching! I didn't realize the pockets didn't match until you pointed it out. I really need to buy this pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, we need to trap that doctor! Do you think he likes baked goods? If so I've got a big cardboard box, string, and a stick for a nice trap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. :) It's probably one of those times where the imperfections are magnified to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Yes, I'm pretty sure someone would have snatched up with lovely if I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that skirt pattern you have "problem" with. MOAR SKIRTS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Archer Addicts unite! We will form our own support group where we just enable each other to make more Archers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Shar, you are so wise. I have the one in process so I'm close, so close to an all Archer week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hee heee, I'd better watch out cause it might fit you perfectly. If I send you the doctors slightly used does the tardis deal still hold?

    ReplyDelete
  17. :) That's good cause I'm pretty sure you will. All archer blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My brain was very sad about all the thinking, so maybe plaid matching isn't my calling. :) So when are you buying his pattern? Now? How bout now?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know... he ate a bunch of stuff when he regenerated last time and I hear he'll be doing it again soon. Maybe we could catch him then! ;)
    We could gather all the seamstresses and have a Wailing Women Convention. We'll all cry and talk about sewing in all our sewn garb, so when he arrives to see what the crisis is it will feel like another planet. Then we can ensnare him in our yards of fabric, and rush the Tardis for a shopping spree!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is quite a pain to match plaids. I've done it a few times on baby boy outfits for friends. Somehow it worked, but it is tedious.
    I went to look at the pattern and maybe I can buy it after I pay the bills and get groceries... Why must my children eat??

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is genius I tells yah, Genius! We gonna bag us a doctor for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We need to get the kids to graze on the lawn. More money for us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are the Archer queen! I love this one. The fabric is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shirt! The miniscule flaws that only you noticed are what give the shirt its charm. Until you manage to rent part of the Tardis (you can't have it all, I need some of it too), I hear there are these hangars that allow you to hang five shirts in the space of one...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just need to be able to put my arms through it. Doesn't even need to fit the girls.
    Hmm maybe, a regeneration might have to be involved. Don't want to be another Martha Jones. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another fine Archer from you Mrs Bee...and I don't think it's a bad thing that you're an Archer Junkie. It could be worse...it could be meth! ;) I am looking for some cosy plaid flannel for a similar shirt. Ring my bell if you see any!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Katie! Now I want a crown and a sash that says Archer Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will definitely let you have some of that sweet sweet Tardis space. And now that you mention it I have some of those hangers somewhere? Hmmmm they must be lurking in the basement

    ReplyDelete
  29. At least my Archer habit will keep me warm. ;) Haven't found any cool flannel yet but will let you know if I do.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs