Second verse, same as the first

7.24.2014

Don't mind me, just lurking in an alley in the exact same outfit I blogged about in June. Different fabrics, different colors, and print usage reversed....but nothing new or ground breaking.
Generally I don't blog repeats much.  Both because the drive to try out new patterns is strong and because the things I remake are usually simple basics. Wouldn't want anyone's head to rage explode over having to read yet another blog post about a new Renfrew. (At this point Renfews just breed on their own like rabbits. There's some questionable fiber mixing happening.)
At the same time many of my favorite bloggers, Gillian and Roisin for example, often remake patterns and I enjoy seeing how they look sewn in different fabrics. So hopefully you'll indulge me in a little pattern rehashing today.  I picked a pretty alley to make it go down better. ;)

In recap I'm wearing the Nettie bodysuit and the bottom half of the Emery dress turned into a skirt.  This time Nettie is made up in a rayon knit, still in stock, from Emmaonesock.com. The fabric is described has having a dry hand, which I can say is completely accurate after fondling it in person. In the future I'd prefer to buy rayon knit with this sort of finish. The texture is very pleasing and it's more matte looking on the right side than standard rayon.  Mo matte, mo better. Is that what the kids say?  Probably not.
Just like my previous Emery skirt, this one is a rayon woven. I bought this last year from the now out of business Waechters. (It still hurts) It's hard to see in the pictures, but the color is not solid. If you're into knitting, it's similar to a semi-solid yarn.  The fabric looks like it was over dyed with a hue very close to the original, giving it small areas that are a slightly lighter or darker blue.
A big thank you to Twirl Designs for suggesting using spray starch on the rayon before cutting.  I found that it made my cutting and sewing process a lot less stressful. There was a slight bit of shifting in the fabric during cutting, but it was loads better than cutting starch free. After finishing the garment I washed and dried the skirt and my rayon returned to it's normal billowy self.  Made me momentary consider stock piling more rayon wovens....but stash busting. It's for the better anyway. Those pesky rayons are always making my stacks of cottons fall over out of the closet. Usually right when my husband is entering the room which makes him give me the side eye. Too much fabric? I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Just step over it and carry on with your day.

Annnnyway, it's great having some patterns that can be considered a "seasonal uniform." Items which coordinate and make me feel put together. Certainly helps on those days were I'm strapped for time or don't really know what to wear. However what's great for your closet isn't always what great to read about on a blog.  So what are your thoughts on repeats/blogging about them and so on?  OK in moderation, or horribly snooze inducing and when is the crazy frog going to show up again?  You know he's got talent.

43 comments:

  1. ok in moderation, always nice to see a different interpretation or fabirc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE repeats being blogged. Not if someone is making only the same thing, or if it's all repeats. But a main reason I read sewing blogs is to get an idea of what I might like to sew, and to help my own skills. Seeing repeats not only gives me an idea of how the pattern adapts, it also usually means people talk about how the other ones are wearing, and how often they wear the make. I have limited enough sewing time that I don't want to make something that will sit in the closet and not be worn. People say things like 'my last one fits ok but after wearing it for a while I decided the next one needed a shoulder adjustment'. Which is helpful for me.

    That said, I tend to make the same thing over and over. Partly for utility, I have SO MANY lady skater-based tops and dresses now, because that's what I wear. But I also have something like ten of the same A-line skirt pattern, because I know that is a shape I like and it means my go-to wardrobe is more varied and versatile. Also because, as someone on the beginner side of intermediate, sewing things in multiples helps me refine my skills. I really get to see the difference it makes if I take more care on the fiddly bits, and I work out what mistakes are me being lazy, and what ones are skills I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen // Grosgrain GreenJuly 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

    Happy to see repeats as long as you have something interesting to say alongside it (that, may or may not be about the sewing!). I feel like seeing repeats gives more of a realistic view of you and your life, which is nice, and shows which are the real winners pattern-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say something truly revelatory... I like repeats! :P I think blogging repeats is as important as blogging things that didn't work out right - it gives a more realistic view of our sewing! (Within reason, obviously! By time I get to version 5, even I won't blog it...)
    Anne and I were talking about you the other day, and saying how you contantly make these lovely dresses and wear them with cute shoes... and how on earth do you pull that off while mothering a toddler? I like seeing your IG photos and outfits like this because then I think, "Yup, I bet she really does look that cute every day!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another pretty outfit!



    I love using spray sizing when cutting and sewing shifty fabrics! Not quite as stiff as starch but basically the same results for stablizing.



    hahahaha I laugh at your "stash busting" - I know you just bought some rayon owls... ;) I plan to make my owls into a 1944 dress from my vintage pattern stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love repeats! and i totally love this outfit. as soon as fall kicks in i'll be all over the nettie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this outfit so I'm glad you posted it. For me, a big part is seeing the colours or prints used, how they're paired with another fabric and how the whole outfit is styled in addition to checking out how a pattern has turned out, so I definitely don't mind seeing remakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy seeing repeat outfits blogged. They looks a bit different each time and it might be in some fabric I just have to have! Your outfit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind seeing pattern repeats. But then, I'm the type who will blog anything I've made, regardless of if I've already sewn 3 Renfrews or not. After all, part of the fun is seeing different fabric prints, different details, pattern hacks, etc. You never know which version will inspire someone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally don't mind seeing pattern repeats. I love it actually! It's nice to see patterns made up in a variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm exactly the same as Becky on this. But then, I'm not really blogging about sewing so much as I'm blogging about what I like to wear and what shoes I've bought and what I've been up to - it's maybe different if you're only blogging about sewing. But I like seeing repeats anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spectacular. Cobalt blue is so beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute summer uniform, I especially love the birdy print, I don't mind repeats, it is interesting to see what patterns look like in different fabrications. Sometimes a pattern really hits the mark for someone's style, and it's good to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely outfit! I blog repeats so I'm probably biased, but I think it's interesting to see how things look in different fabrics/prints/colours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this outift!!! I don't mind seeing repeats at all! I am always interested in seeing a pattern made up into different fabrics. I also am a fan of seeing how pieces can be worn in different ways. I would love to see more "outfit of the day " posts by sewists with their me-mades like we do during MMM. Sometimes we can get stuck in wardrobe ruts...you know...I only wear THIS skirt with THIS top....and don't try new pairings. I personally love trying new pairings in my wardrobe...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think when your repeats/staples are as cute as this - blog about them!! I love seeing things made up in different fabrics, hearing about the fabric and tricks to sew with them. Great outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this on you! That vibrant blue is amazing! I find myself blogging dress remakes (although there haven't been many of them) but not basic items like tops. Although, to be honest, I have a hard time blogging things like simple top patterns at all, even if it's my first time making the pattern. I just feel like no one will be that interested in a review of a basic! But I really do enjoy seeing other people's multiples- it's fun to see patterns made up different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been eyeballing this bird knit for a while...you're not helping me to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the feed back Jenni. I will keep that in mind for future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Craftastrophies! I've never though too much about the benefits of blogging multiple remakes. You've mentioned several excellent points here. Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Helen, I like your comment about repeats showing a more realistic view of what actually gets worn. That's given me some good food for though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's what I like about your repeats Gillian. I see what you actually wear and how you tweak versions as you go along. It's interesting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Snort, Snort, I am "selective" about the stash busting thing. Avert your gaze Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woot Woot! You'll rock a Nettie Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Kristy. :) A big reason I decided to post this outfit was because I really like the colors and prints together. Glad that you also liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hee hee, More birdies in your stash is never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Blog everything!!!! You also add nice accessories to your outfits Becky. I'd never though about it but you're right that one version might "grab someone" more than another.

    ReplyDelete
  28. :) I always like seeing what shoes you've bought!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Muhaa haaa! I'm an evil fabric enabler Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Nicole. I like seeing repeats for that reason too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Heather. I'm trying to snap that color up when ever I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Angela. Will confess that I just had to show off that birdy print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Sonja, I agree that blogging basics is hard. Hey look I have a T-shirt on, where as dresses are just inherently more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aww thanks Heather. I was hoping the rayon tip was enough of an excuse to parade around in some bird prints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you Ruth. I like seeing things in other fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You've got me really thinking about outfit of the day photos Margo. Trying to think of how to show those off in an interesting way. Thank you for the brain fodder!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ok, so I have to comment about how in picture 1 you have the "Oh God the sun! It burns!" look, and then you have sunglasses on. Makes me giggle. I love this combo. The bird fabric is awesome and the blue just catches your eyes. I also like the comment about the fabric falling out in front of Steve (hee hee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  38. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lord, I have so many photos where I'm making the "It burns" face. Had to finally admit that it was sunglass time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. love your sense of humor!


    and i dig both versions of the same, am not tired and appreciate the more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you Juliana. Next time I won't worry too much about repeats :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yee ha this looks great! AND i have the same fabric from EmmaOneSock! woohoo! I'm hoping to nail my StyleArc Jessica muslin so I can use it to good effect

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs