Last week I decided to whip up a quick pencil skirt and reached for an old TNT. It was Burda 127 (Issue 1/2008) a pencil skirt with princess line seams in the front and back. Suddenly a giant robot came out of the wall screaming, "Danger, Heather B, Danger, this TNT has expired!" Alright that didn't happen, but it would have saved me a lot of seam ripping. Upside is that I don't have to clean oil stains out of the carpet.
Despite not getting a robot red flag, the warning signs of TNT expiration where there. Like the fact that the I last made this Burda pattern was in 2009. Shortly after that I gained about 60 lb while gestating the hungriest fetus ever. (Code name - Sir Snacks a lot) Losing that weight doesn't mean it comes off on all the same places. Looking at you post baby fat shelf. Also past Heather wasn't quite the sticker about fitting like the current version is. It's OK, she didn't know any better at the time....lazy snitch.
Confession - I'm kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill. After finishing the skirt and trying it on, the only major fitting problem was that the back of the waistband was gaping horribly. I could have slid Froggie in there for trips around town, except I don't need to draw more attention to my rear end.
The gaping shouldn't have been a surprise considering the pattern is finished with a narrow, straight waistband. Straight waistbands and my tilted waist/sway back don't mix well. Back in the aughts I didn't know why my waistbands never fit and solved the problem by covering them up with shirts. However with my current bodysuit craze, Hail
Hydra Nettie, a better fitting waistband was needed. I decided to draft a new one wider waistband to suit my current tastes.
Using the same method outlined here I drafted a curved waistband with the finished width of 1 3/4". To give it a little more visual interest, the lips waistband shape was traced off BlueGingerDoll's Peggy skirt pattern. Even skirts need sexy red lips.
Having already done the sewing penitence of ripping out a prettily stitched waistband and zipper, I went whole hog and top-stitched all the princess line seams. The new waistband was attached and also top-stitched. What can I say, that new to me blind stitch hem foot doubles as a really nice top-stitching foot. Bonus, a machine stitched hem fit right in with all that top-stitching. Froggie says, "Top-stitch all the things, then bring me a cookie!"
So yes I was irked about having to "un-finish" a finished project. The sewing list is long and I don't want to earn demerits from my frog overlord. Buuuuuttt sometimes you've got to put the seam ripper time in to get something you'll actually wear. That's why we're sewing things in the first place, isn't it? Well I'm sewing for that reason and to accumulate all the fabric I can get my hands on.
*Bonus bodysuit notes for fellow addicts.* I'm modeling version 3 of my Nettie bodysuit changes here feel like it's the perfect version for me. In v3 the front neckline back to it's original drafted position, having been raised in v2. The Lady skater armhole I'd subbed in seemed a bit large so I took out 1/2" of ease. To make the original Nettie sleeve fit the new armhole, I split the entire pattern down the center and added 1/2" of additional width. Think I needed the extra width for my upper arm as well. The sleeve now fits snuggly but does not ride up. Hooray.
Even with my waistband changes I still finished this skirt in time to wear it to the dentist. Because in your late 30's getting good news about your gum health is a reason for celebration. Don't tell them about the cake I had afterwards. That's our little secret.
|Nettie bodysuit in Bamboo|
Burda 127 from Issue 1/2008 in stretch cotton sateen
Luxulite mini cherry brooch
Miss L fire Cherry Pop sandals
Besame Lipstick colors Red Velvet over Besame Red