The Lovely Lea Dress

8.25.2014

I think patterns themselves have started seeking me out. "Psssst, have you heard about that girl who's always sewing things? The crazy one with the frog. Yeah? Let's go dance around on her instagram feed. I hear she has zero pattern resistance."
I stumbled upon the Lea dress pattern on instagram's explore function. This was highly out of the ordinary because the explore function makes me feel like an old fogey. The concept of searching for users and hashtags is understandable, it's not like google + were I still don't understand what the hell is going on. Circles? Connections? What?  Please take me back to my email now. The main problem with explore is that I'm old enough that the whole adding hashtags thing is not second nature. I have to constantly remind myself to add them to my pictures and I rarely think of them as a tool to find things. But enough about that, I think the Lea Dress auto popped into my explore feed anyway.
BAM! What is this vision I see before me? The technical sketch and I immediately started making bedroom eyes at each other. "So into you," might have been playing. I sidled my curser over to it and said, "Hey beautiful, you want to come home with me and let me glue your pages together?  Pretty sure it winked and did a little shimmy. That was all it took, it was in my cart and purchased about a minute later.
This was one of those projects were the fabric to use immediately popped into my head.  I was in love with all the seam lines and wanted to highlight them. I'd just unearthed a dress weight black stretch denim from the stash which would be perfect. All the dress needed was some red top-stitching to make the seam lines pop. I say that like doing contrast top-stitching is a piece of cake.  In reality many yards of red thread were massacred in the making of this dress by "Rambo" my seam ripper.  Froggie is in talks to build a memorial wall at the base of my chair to remember their thready sacrifice. Some red thread survived to grace all the princess line seams, pocket/neckline edges and of course the button holes.
I'd agree with the designer that the pattern is intermediate, only because there are a lot of pattern pieces to work with.  The instructions are nicely formatted, easy to understand and everything goes together logically. There are even diagrams for lengthening/shortening the bodice, preforming an FBA and a wide shoulder fitting adjustment included in the directions. The seam allowances are 3/8" on this pattern, which is nice for sewing all those princess line seams. It does mean you have less fabric to fiddle around with should something not fit. So make a muslin....seriously just do it.  (I know some of you are yelling "NEVER!" and laughing evilly right now.)  Another thing that should be mentioned is that I was on the lower end of the size range on this pattern. Right now I'm usually wearing a Big 4 size 14/16 and a independent pattern 10/12. On the Lea dress scale I was a 4/6 combo. The size range is 0-14 so the smaller ladies might find themselves out of the size range before the larger ladies do.
I loved sewing up this pattern, so much so that it got pounded out in a couple of days. Must...sew....dress... Why do you people keep asking me for food?!!! It's like they couldn't see that the dress and I were having an intimate moment. Our torrid love affair was over almost too quick, expect for the ripping out of top-stitching part. I'll be finding red fluff in Froggie's fur for days.

Pattern
Lea Dress from Jolie Marie Louise

Fabrics used
Dress weight black stretch denim - probably from EOS from some point
A bit of red polyester lining for the pockets

Pattern changes/alterations
You'll that the list of adjustments is rather long and I was surprised at the number after writing them down. Feel like I should note that fitting this dress was very easy due to the amount of seams. Just tweak a bit out here and put a bit more back there.
Fitting changes
1. Standard 1/2" forward shoulder adjustment.

2. 1/2" nipped out of the princess line seams at the back waist.

3. 1/2" was also removed from the top of the back princess line seam to decrease the size of the armhole.

4. Sway back adjustment of 1/2" to the back bodice.

5. 3/4" of ease added to the side seams at the hip area.  I went back and took some of this out because there the stretch denim gave me some extra wiggle room.

Style changes 
1. Neckline curve dropped 3/4". You know I like my lower necklines.

2. Increased the length of skirt 1 5/8".

3. Added a vent to the CB skirt slit because I prefer that finish.

Confessions/Advice
- The armhole is low enough to show the bra band on some of the styles I wear.  Will go back and raise it about 1/2" for any future versions.
- I still have a bit of gaping at the bust line. Might need to go back and do a very small FBA adjustment to the bodice.

- With the deep 2" hem, the finished back slit is too short for my taste. Since I added a vent intake I couldn't go back and make the slit higher.  For the future I will add another 1" to the top of my vent.
- The self piece of fabric for the pocket back is overlaid on the lining and top-stitched into place. I may go back and make that an actual seam. Was feeling too lazy to do so on this version.

Husband Comment
"Seven buttons, that's a lucky number."  You know it baby, cause I only had 7 of those vintage red buttons.

My Final Thoughts
More Patterns, MOAAAAAAAR! *Ahem* That is to say I will be interested to see future offerings from this designer. I like the chic style of this first pattern, as well as the more advanced sewing skill level needed. With all the beginner patterns being offered lately, it was a delight to have something interesting to sew that was also more of an "every day" sort of garment. There's only room in the closet for so many cocktail dresses sewn for kicks. At least I'll be prepared when Froggie lands that CEO job.
So in short I'd recommend this pattern and will be trying to get as much use out if it until the weather turns. Now I'm off to be effortless chic until I trip over a door frame while stuffing Froggie into my pocket. Look out below!

33 comments:

  1. This dress was meant for you! It's gorgeous. I love everything about it, especially the topstitching. So lovely. Also, your shoes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look very lovely indeed! It's playful and elegant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally with you on the whole google+ thing! I just don't get it...I must be getting old. (er) And hashtags......huh? I really know a great dress when I see one though! This one is awesome and your fit is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so nice on you! You are the topstitching queen- it seriously looks flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this - it's like it was designed just for you! I love the red buttons and top-stitching! I don't think the red thread's sacrifice was in vain - totally worth it! PS: Google+ just makes no sense whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice dress, perfect fabric for the style. OMG, Google+, I don't know what you are, you should be Google-

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't get Google+ and hashtags! This dress looks fabulous, it's definitely on my to make list, although it might have to wait until Spring now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love! The denim+red combo is gorgeous, and I love the lines of this dress! And yes, Google+ totally eludes me as well, and I'm also not so great with the useful type of hashtags. I'm slowly getting better, but I'm sure once I get good about it they'll change to something else...

    ReplyDelete
  9. clearly this pattern was meant for you! love it, and the fit looks so great! i'm a sucker for top stitching, it always makes me smile... when i'm not ripping and re-doing that is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweetheart neckline, princess seams, those pockets, so many good things in one dress. One for my sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I told myself not to get it, that I have about 18 projects lined up, that I prefer knits, that this wouldn't flatter my curves. Lies! All lies! After reading your post I need this pattern too, even if I never make it! It's just too lovely. It's your dang topstitching, just so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this dress on you.

    If I didn't already know where you lived, I would be able to tell from the last picture. You are making me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Latrice and I'm sorry about the home sickness. You can laugh later when I'm buried under snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woo Hooo! Can't wait to hear about your summer Emily. I hope you had a good time at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, The pattern that can not be denied. One good thing about all the seamlines is that they give you several options for fitting. But I'll turn a blind eye if you never get to it since my PDF pattern folder holds several unsewn patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree Ms Modiste. Too many good things not to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Lisa, feel like this one was designed for me too. Aw man, top-stitching is so great once you're done. Until that point you wonder what the hell you were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAA HAA! I'll be thinking of it as Google - from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Sonja. Have to say the normal Berinia foot did make top-stitching a lot easier then on my old machine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww thanks Sassy T. Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hooray! You're making me think the whole Google + and hashtags things is a product of being a certain age. When that next thing come we're gonna be going HUH?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woo Hoo! Hashtag solidarity. It also makes me glad to hear that I'm not the only one with these issues.
    Put this baby on your list for later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Heather. Must confess that some of my top-stitching was because I stupidly stitched the wrong side of the seam. Also the bobbin ran out a few times. Doh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks much Andie. I did have the idea to make this dress to match this particular pair of shoes. But then you don't have to twist my arm to match black and red together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Laura. Certainly a top make for the summer in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Kait. Your description is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOL, Glad I'm not the only one on this technology stuff. Good thing we can find out about patterns the old fashion way, from blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this on you - hooray for Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a fabulous dress! I love the red stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm not really taken by a shirt dress, it just doesn't seen to fit with my style, but there is something about this dress that I really, really like. Might be the combination of the princess seams, the pockets and the skirt. I love what you've done - choice of fabrics, red stitching and buttons, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. it seems you had it already! it's lovely! super well fitted!


    I mourn for the red thread.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs