My Sew-A-Long Mae

9.23.2013

What do you get when you cross polka dots, birds, and my favorite color red?  You unlock triple amounts of awesome that make up my sew-a-long Mae.
I had to take part in the Mae sew-a-long cause A - I like this pattern, B - chance at prizes, C- I bought a card of bakelite buttons that had just the right number for Mae.
Changes to this version.
1. The neckline is the one Abby drafted and not my modified larger one. They both look good so why not switch them up.
2. Took off the extra ease I'd added in the sleeve area during my lazy fix adding extra east to the entire side seam.
3. Increased the width of the button placket an 1/8" because these buttons were a bigger and I needed more width for the button holes
I also underlined this version with some siri lining, because you could clearly see the black polka dots through the white areas. Facing shadows, no thank you!  Putting in an underlining is a pain, but you do get the added bonus of being able to sew down all those facings.  I whip stitched down the armhole facings since sometimes they want to flash people. Dirty, dirty armhole facings.
The fabric is from Gertie's Etsy store this summer, a cotton with a touch of spandex in it. The underlining cancels out the stretch factor but that's OK, I've got enough ease to be comfy.
Also from Etsy the cute embroidered felt bird patch.  Check out Dahlia Soleil if you're looking for something like this.  She has many different designs - plants, animals, etc and you can chose from different colors of felt. I ordered an iron on patch but ended up hand sewing it on for a more vintage look.
"Tweet, tweet, I'm making your blouse that much more awesome." Right you are red bird, even the 3 year old thinks you're the bee's knees.  Already got complements in this version while running errands, so all around a great make. Hooray for Mae!

21 comments:

  1. this turned out so great! I love it and the bird and buttons really make it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh can't go wrong with red accents. This is a super cute blouse pattern. Love those red pants too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird looks great, a wonderful detail for your pretty blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having the correct number of buttons is surely the best ever reason for taking part in a sew-along! This is a lovely pattern and I love your details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bird patch Heather!!! Get used to the compliments on this one my dear. Oh my gosh I hate flippin' facings too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. Polk-a-dots are always a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I really love this. I actually love all your makes and don't comment nearly as often as l would like. You had me at whip stitching your facings. And the red touches are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little red bird, you make this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I had not realized the buttons where for this shirt when I saw pics on IG! Love the red accents with the black & white polka dots!


    I hate facings too - I love it when you can stitch them down to the underlining. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your first version and I love this one too! The red accents really pop against the polka dots (and probably go quite well with your infamous red pumps). I have the navy with white polka dots version of this fabric from Gertie's shop. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Melanie, Mr. Birdie enjoys your praise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank's Em, more red is always good. At least that's my motto. Forgot to mention but that pants are my colette clovers that I wear all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Wendy, so great when you find something like what you had in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Rach. Heck yeah! Much better than having one less than you need, which is usually what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Margo, I have tamed those crazy facings, now they whimper when I glare at them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heck yeah Trice, polkadots are the bestest! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Janelle, I'm giggling cause not I'm picturing a sewing themed romantic movie where one character says, "You had me at whip stitching your facings". They would have me too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Laura, little red bird will smile at you. I hear that's good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Brooke, not sure if I did show a pic with the buttons on this on IG. I was kind of wondering if I should save them for another project. Then remember that's now my buttons never get used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Shar, I did have the red pumps on out of frame. Muhahaa haa /\. I did think about buying the navy and white polka dots too! But then though I better leave polka dots for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Mae! So awesome. You always do such gorgeous work, Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs