Hey there sewing friends, I hope you are all are currently warm and snug in your houses This week my family experienced a 2 day power outage that put quite the crimp in my plans for the week. There was a very bad ice storm that brought down power lines in record numbers. Our local electricity company reported that only Hurricane Sandy had more power outages. (Ironically we didn't lose power at all during Sandy.) After a day and a half I packed up my son and headed to my in-laws to warm up and have a decent meal....and maybe get a social media fix. I missed you internet!!!!
Before I cut and ran there was plenty of time to make sewing plans, cut out fabric, and try to explain a power outage to a 3 year old. (His take - "Daddy break TV?") Here are a couple things "I discovered" while waiting for the zombies to show up.
- One way of getting back your sewing mojo is to not be able to sew at all. Thanks power company, you're doing God's work.
- Hooray for TNT patterns and stashed kid's prints. Cutting out a couple dresses and PJ's in fun prints will raise your core temp about 5 degrees. Fangy Clouds!
- Getting into the habit of prewashing all fabric as it enters the house is one of the best things I've learned. OK maybe flossing regularly was a better habit than prewashing, but this isn't a dental hygiene blog. Ewwwww.
- If an ice storm is forecasted then for the love of God print out all the PDF patterns. Don't decide to go to bed like a chump. Go liberate the printer from your husband's clutches instead, cause your future sanity depends on it.
- I can "use up" a brand new rotary cutting blade in a day. It died of sheer exhaustion with out ever getting to taste my blood. Muhaa haaa, even my frozen fingers are too fast.
- You can trace patterns and cut fabric by candle light, eye strain be damned. Also I need more candles and maybe a candelabra so I can be fancy. My spaghetti sauce jar holders are betraying my hick roots.
- Writing down blog posts on pieces of paper reveals how non logical my writing process is. I'm like the proverbial room full of monkey's just with better potty training. I is an edumacated student?
-Without distractions like stupid housework and fun social media, I'm super productive. Look Ma, I cut out 8 sewing projects! Now I just have to get my minions to start sewing. Froggie, put down that pan of brownies and get to work.