Back to button down March! Both Archer and McCall's 5138 are making some progress on the old sewing machine. You won't see McCall's 5138 till it's done, it being a TNT there's nothing much to talk about. But today I'm going to "lift the veil" on my half hazard fitting process.
When picking your size know that Archer is drafted to be roomy, so pick the size closest to your bust measurement. This fact would have been clear to me had I measured that pattern. But that would be a smart thing to do, so I naturally skipped over it and guessed what size to make. I started off with a size 14 bust/shoulder and a 16 through waist/hip. (Blending two sizes together like this is pretty standard for me since I'm pear shaped) On to the pics....
A 14/16 size combo with the following adjustments - standard FBA that added a dart and 1" additional bust ease on the half (so 2" total), 1/2" extra width in the back on the half (1" total), 1/2" sway back adjustment and a 1/2" forward shoulder adjustment.
Conclusion- Need to go down a size, add only a bust dart but not extra width, move shoulder notch, remove back width adjustment and slim sleeve down.
A 12/14 size combo with the following adjustments - Bust dart added but without full FBA, 1/2" sway back adjustment and a 1/2" forward shoulder adjustment with sleeve head notch properly moved.
Conclusion-Add 1/2" additional upper back width to the pattern again, pivot bust dart further up side seam, gently curve side seams for a trimmer look.
I'm currently sewing muslin #3, which will be in some navy cotton inherited from my grandmother's stash. Felt like the fit was close enough in muslin #2 that I could risk some free to me fabric. If the fit of that shirt is to my liking then archer will get an upgrade to some fancy shmancy silk. Oh Boy!