I know memorial day was yesterday but I've got something very special on the grill for you. Don't worry, the eyeballs make them extra tasty. What's that? Oh I always grill in vintage inspired dresses because it classes up the whole "charring meat with an open flame" thing.
Billie Jean Dress from Bluegingerdoll.
I bought the PDF version cause I wanted to sew it RIGHT NOW! It will
also be available in a printed version which can also be pre-ordered
from the etsy shop. The pattern comes with a fully lined bodice and
your choice of a slim pencil skirt or a gathered full skirt.
light weight cotton shirting purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics some time
last year. More stash usage, sweet. Here's a little peek at the insides
of my dress. I had plenty of fabric
to self line the bodice and thought cotton would be a lot cooler on a
summer dress than some stashed polyester lining.
I needed to blend three sizes together in the bodice 12/14/16. The
neckline and shoulders are a 12, then the side seam is blended from a 12
into a 16.
2. Added 1/4" to either side of the upper back princess line seam for little more width in my wide upper back area.
On the front neckline I drew a new neckline curve adding about 5/8" to
the shoulder area for a little more bra strap coverage. On the back I
raised the entire neckline 5/8".
Simplicity 1880 but they are very simple to draft yourself.
One thing to note is that the front waist measurement of the Billie
Jean bodice is larger than the back waist measurement. If you wanted to
do a traditional gored shirt you'd need to make the bodice front/back
waist measurements equal to get the side seams to match up. You'd draft 1
gore pattern and cut 4 to make up your entire skirt. Your other option
is to keep the bodice as it is and draft 2 gore pattern pieces. The
front skirt pattern will be wider at the waist and a back skirt
narrower. Cut 2 back skirt gores and 2 front skirt gores to make up the
entire skirt. This is what I did because my figure really is wider on
the front than on the back.
1. When putting together the PDF pattern notice that there is some overlap of the images between pages.
2. Instead of a lapped zipper I inserted an invisible zip, because there was a white one in the stash and I'm lazy.
"Hey that's a nice dress! No don't put a belt on it, it looks better with out it. Don't put a sweater over it either!"
My Final Thoughts
putting together the pattern to finished dress took me 7 days. Yowzah!
It helped that the only part that needed to be fitted was the bodice and
that was almost perfect on the first muslin. I would agree with the
pattern directions to size up if you are between measurements. My waist
is 34" and the size 16 has a 35" waist. I could nip out a little bit
of the ease but found it very comfortable as it is.
if the fitting process hadn't been a wiz I'd still LOVE this dress.
It's vintagey without being costumey, it's comfortable, it's oh so